Biking provides a fun way to get around Houston. Please see the following safety tips, and happy riding!
- Make sure your bike is in good working condition before riding. Check your tires for proper inflation and brakes and chain for proper operation.
- Wear a helmet – and make sure it is secured correctly.
- Ride on the right side of the road and with traffic.
- Obey all traffic rules, signs and signals.
- Look before changing lanes, and use hand signals for turns.
- Watch for potholes, debris, cars, trucks, pedestrians and other bikers.
- Stay outside the door zone of parked cars – you never know when somebody might step out of the car unexpectedly!
- Cross railroad tracks at right angles.
- Be visible and predictable at all times.
- Travel in a straight line.
- Wear bright clothing and use lights at night.