Tips for Biking
The Bikeways Program aims to provide you with information to make your trip safer, easier, and more comfortable.
Bikes on Buses/Rail Loading/Unloading Tips
The Metro Transit Authority of Harris County (METRO) provides transit bus, light rail service and other transit options with the City of Houston and surrounding counties. Tips, brochures and other information regarding Bike on Buses and Bikes on Rail can be found here.
Ten Safer Biking Tips
- OBEY THE LAWS. You have the same rights and responsibilities as drivers. Stop at stop signs and red lights.
- KEEP YOUR BIKE IN GOOD CONDITION. Check your tires and brakes before riding.
- WEAR A HELMET. Children under 18 must wear a helmet, and it is recommended for adults as well.
- USE LIGHTS AT NIGHT. You must have a white headlight and a red taillight or reflector.
- PEDESTRIANS HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY. Bicyclists may ride on the sidewalk (except in downtown and business districts) but must yield to pedestrians.
- USE HAND AND ARM SIGNALS to indicate turns.
- STAY TO THE RIGHT. In general, bike on the right hand side of the road, riding the same direction as traffic. Cyclists are allowed the full use of the lane when necessary for safety.
- AVOID THE DOOR ZONE. Stay outside the door zone of parked cars.
- CROSS RAILROAD OR LIGHT RAIL TRACKS AT RIGHT ANGLES.
- THINK AHEAD. Anticipate what drivers, pedestrians and other people on bikes will do next. Look out for debris, potholes, and other road hazards.